Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thing 9

I decided to compare and contrast the three listed blog search engines for the Thing 9 assignment. I did a very basic search of the term "cataloging". What I found:

Technorati -- Any results I got from this search engine were more "popular" or in effect, useless posts which had the word cataloging randomly in them. None seemed to relate to the library. which is not totally surprising given the general keyword I used for searching, but still, I expected something at least remotely resembling a useful blog. This also has a very busy layout and set of advertisements. However, the descriptions or first lines were very helpful to telling what would or would not be useful to me.

Syndic8 -- I found a couple blogs here which I actually may find useful in my cataloging class. The layout was very basic and I could see myself maybe even using this search screen when needing blogs. However, it would be more useful to have some sort of extra description or information to use to analyse the results instead of just the blog name or url.

Topix -- similar to technorati. It would be good for finding popular sites or blogs but not for searching for specific or specialized blogs.

Maybe I am just too used to indepth database searching which makes these search engines much lower key than I would find initially useful. However, they seem a good start to finding blogs online. And since I was unaware that they even existed, it's a good resource to store away for future use.

No comments: