Monday, November 17, 2008

Let's stir up some friendly competition - Thing 19

I looked through the site NowPublic.com. It is a site which is comprised of world news, reports, pictures, facts, opinions and breaking stories of anyone who wants to post on the site. I read through the ranking system and was intrigued by what the site is actually out to achieve. It states that "the more you contribute and get involved, the more you’ll move up". Anyone can post and move up in getting points to move their stories higher up in the leader board and onto the front page. I liked how this work as any person is given the chance to tell the rest of the reading world whatever they have found out or think the others need to know. However, I do know that because of how the information is submitted, it would be harder for me to take what I read there and believe it fully. It would take more research on top of it to gain the authority needed for the information read.

I'm not sure how this concept would fit into the library world. There are many libraries which already do many wonderful interactive pages for book reviews or to facilitate community involvement. Maybe people like to work for points, though. And for bragging rights. And if we assigned points or stars to each person who posted reviews or made comments, it would spark more competition and therefore more interaction?? I like that idea...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

another site to add to the list of ones I need to look into